What is the Advisory Council?
The Advisory council is a group of EE leaders, mostly past EEA board members, who continue to actively serve the organization.
The Advisory Council supports the EEA Board of Directors by:
- Selecting the Outstanding Service and Eugene Odum Lifetime EEA Awards
- Managing the Dragonfly Grant program
- Updating and maintaining the organization's history
- Providing institutional knowledge and context
- Assisting with recruitment (membership, committee volunteers, and Board of Director nominations)
- Developing and sharing recommendations for consideration at the Annual EEA Board of Directors retreat
- Supporting the work of EEA's committees and programs
- Helping develop leadership skills within the EE community
How does the Advisory Council work with the Board of Directors?
The Advisory Council engages in activities as requested and/or approved by the Executive Committee, assists with the implementation of objectives developed through strategic planning and the annual work plan process, submits a quarterly report of their activities, and presents their progress to the EEA Board of Directors.
How long is the term of service?
One year with no term limits.
How often does the Advisory Council meet?
The Advisory Council meets as needed, usually two-three times throughout the year. Committees may meet more often.
Who are the current members of the EEA Advisory Council?
Kim Bailey, GA Environmental Protection Division
Paula Chambers, SWGYSTC at Bainbridge College
Becky Champion, GA Environmental Protection Division
Penny Costanzo, retired educator
Karen Garland, Clark Creek Elementary
Claire Hayes, Woodlands Garden of Decatur
Jerry Hightower, National Park Service (co-chair)
Monica Kilpatrick, GA Environmental Protection Division
Jennifer McCoy, Cobb County Water System (co-chair)
Kim Morris-Zarneke, GA Aquarium
Anne Shenk, State Botanical Garden of Georgia
Amy Waite, F. D. Roosevelt State Park
Lisa Weinstein, Turner Foundation
Karan Wood, Captain Planet Foundation
What are the responsibilities of the Advisory Council Chair?
- Coordinate the work of the Advisory Council via email, correspondence, conference calls, and face-to-face meetings
- Submit quarterly updates to the Board of Directors
- Facilitate development of Annual Recommendations for Consideration at the Annual EEA Board of Directors retreat
- Recruit and maintain Advisory Council team, ensuring all participants are current EEA members
- Identify a representative of the Advisory Council to attend meetings of the EEA Board of Directors, providing an activities update and giving feedback as needed to Board discussions
- Ensure communication is maintained between Advisory Council and Board of Directors
- Act as NAAEE Affiliate Liaison and the Liaison for the Southeast Environmental Education Network
What are the responsibilities of the Advisory Council Members?
- Participate in the work of the Advisory Council via email, correspondence, conference calls, and face-to-face meetings
- Submit quarterly online log of volunteer service
- Help develop Annual Recommendations for Consideration
- Be a current EEA member
- Actively work on one Advisory Council project (outlined each year in the Annual Recommendations for Consideration)
- Review Dragonfly Grant applications and EEA Award submissions